Simplified Flow Chart for a Commercial Cativa Plant
|The simplification of the production plant reduces
the cost of new ethanoic acid plants by 30%. There are substantial benefits
to be gained by the Cativa process with plants that operate with higher
productivity and reduced environmental impact with reduced costs.
to refer back to the diagram of the Monsanto process plant.
Compare the two and identify differences which make the Cativa process
|Advantages of the Cativa process.
- Iridium is much cheaper than rhodium
- Less iridium is needed because it is so stable
that all the catalyst is recycled in the plant
- The reaction is faster and the quantities
of by-products are much lower, reducing the purification costs. For
example steam is used to heat the distillation columns and there is
a 30% saving of steam over the Monsanto process
- Some conversion of CO to CO2 still occurs but
at a much lower rate.
- CO utilisation is increased from about 85%
to over 94%
- Overall the Cativa process releases about
30% less CO2 per tonne of product than does the rhodium process.